OMG Austin

The 80/20 rule in digital marketing

There isn’t a secret formula for interacting with your clients and customers on social media. Your business might want to push promotion after promotion, but this isn’t the best idea.

It can oversaturate your content while clients and customers can get overwhelmed. The best idea when it comes to digital marketing? It’s called the 80/20 rule.

What is the 80/20 rule

The 80/20 rule, also known as the Pareto Principle, proposes that 80 percent of output is created from 20 percent of input, demonstrating the uneven distribution between cause and effect.

The 80/20 rule is applicable in the digital marketing, where 80 percent  of results or rewards are created by 20 percent of efforts in the form of resources or time.

What does this look like with digital marketing? With this principle: 80 percent of your Facebook, Twitter or other platforms show the informational side. The other 20 percent of the posts  are promotions.

The whole point of using the 80/20 rule is not sounding like a cheesy car salesman or the kiosk  in the mall selling sunglasses.

This is the how to implement the 80 versus 20 percent.

The 20 percent

The 20 percent of your digital marketing strategy is promotion. Are you offering new services or products.

Is there a new release on an anticipated product or service? Get the word out there! This includes a persuasive and engaging post to bring the most traffic to your sale and website.

The 80 percent

This is part of the content that is “shareable.” The content is informational and engaging which allows people  in the same business to share and like your posts.

It supports your thinking, the way your business approaches new and exciting information and keeps you relevant and relevant with your industry.

Examples of the 80/20 rule in digital marketing

Applying the 80/20 rule in your digital marketing can help you develop a clear insight into your brand’s overall response to its specific marketing strategies.

A great example is seen on  our social media account!

Both of these posts are from our Instagram account! The first post is a promotional post.

As you can see, this is one of 20 percent post. This post is calling for  businesses to call us for support and management of their social media accounts. The blog takes the client to the reasons why they should hire our team.

__

A few days later, we shared the second post. It informs other businesses in the Austin area about  the problems with duplicate content on your website. Eighty percent of our information is about industry news, digital marketing trends, educating the businesses and public and more.


The 80/20 rule is a  principle digital marketing strategists keep in their back pocket.  There are instances where this rule can be stretched to 70/30 ration, but it isn’t as favored in the marketing world.

Who knew there were so many rules for posting on your business social media account? We’ll handle  the rules, lingo and best practices at OMG Austin. You stick to your business savvy ways.

Contact Us

We want to hear from you, so what are you waiting for? Contact us today.

Get In Touch
Share this post
Comments